Thursday, December 10, 2015

Final Reflection


Looking back on this semester I can really see the progress I have made since August. My last hands-on production class was in Spring 2014 so quite some time had passed since I first learned the basics. I was slowly forgetting what I learned in 201. I also never got too much hands-on experience in 201. The same handful of students would always hog the equipment in class so I would sit back and just hope to get a good view of the camera or the light kit.
            Over the summer while out in LA, one of the pieces of advice that I was given repeatedly was go back to Tuscaloosa and get more experience. This class was my ticket to that. I needed more experience with production and that is exactly what I got this semester.
            I’m not going to lie, I was a little scared to handle some of the cameras in the beginning of the class. The thought of breaking anything was terrifying but handling equipment was the first step I needed to take in the class. I was able to purchase a camera halfway through the semester and have become more comfortable with it since. I have gotten a lot of practice handling lenses and being able to tell the difference between all of the focal lengths!
            One of my takeaways from the class that I recently learned is to really check your footage when you are filming with DSLRs. Making sure that everything is in focus is extremely important. I wasn’t completely satisfied with my work because of all the footage that turned out to be slightly out of focus. Next time I film, I really want to have some sort of monitor nearby so I can check the footage.

            I also really learned a lot from the pre-production meetings. Making a shot list and a shooting script was really helpful. I messed them both up and didn’t stay faithful to them for my shoot, which I regret a lot. The good news is that I can learn from how I messed up my storyboard, shot list, and shooting script. I saw with other people in my group how correct pre-production planning can really help improve the quality of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment